Florida Rural Legal Services
July 20, 2017
(Contract) Staff attorney
Stuart/Martin County, Florida
Full-time contract staff attorney position with Florida Rural Legal Services. Attorney will provide civil legal assistance to indigent persons on such matters as family law, education law, housing, public benefits and employment law. The position is for a minimum period of 8 months with the strong likelihood of it being extended past this period.
This non-management level position requires admittance to the Florida Bar. Entry level or above experience applies. Knowledge of state and federal court practices preferred.
The following outlines, but is not limited to, the more salient responsibilities of this position:
- Interviews, certifies eligibility and identifies the legal problems of FRLS clients within a specific area of law and provides clients with appropriate legal assistance in the form of advice, referrals, or actual representation.
- Participates in outreach.
- Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies, including investigation, witness preparation, pre and post hearing written arguments, conduct of the hearing and related activities.
- Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Director of Litigation, Deputy Director or Executive Director.
- Participates in case acceptance meetings.
- Participates in training to keep up CLEs as may be provided by the program.
- Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect; provides constructive feedback to other advocates (paralegals) on cases discussed.
- Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
- Promotes accessibility of the local office(s) to clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and clients with disabilities.
- Promotes good relations with public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bar, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Management.
- Participates in hiring process for local office staff.
- Provides timely data upon request for grant applications, fundraising, public relations and other program needs.
- Becomes familiar with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LSC and other Funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
Demonstrated commitment to advocacy on behalf of people in poverty. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Barred in Florida. Bilingual in Spanish preferred, but not required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Send Resume and Writing samples to:
Email: email@example.com or Fax: 239-936-7038
**FRLS is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
**Position is being posted internally/externally**
Positions will remain posted until filled or until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.