Florida Rural Legal Services. Inc. (FRLS), the non-profit legal services program providing free civil legal assistance to eligible low income and elderly persons approved by program policies and priorities in areas such as housing, domestic violence related family and other family law matters, public benefits, consumer law, elder law, education, immigration, and civil rights.
The staff attorney/pro bono coordinator will be responsible for conducting client intake, recruiting and mentoring pro bono attorneys, coordinating the daily operation of pro bono projects and some contract management. The functions of this position will include advising clients on legal matters but will not generally include representing clients.
- The attorney in this position is responsible for creating and maintaining excellent relationships with the private bar and helping to operate pro bono projects.
- The staff attorney/pro bono coordinator will be responsible for conducting client intake, recruiting and mentoring pro bono attorneys, coordinating the daily operation of pro bono projects and some contract management.
- The functions of this position will include advising clients on legal matters but will not generally include representing clients.
- Participates in outreach and coordination with agencies serving and referring victims to FRLS.
- Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies, including investigation, witness preparation, pre and post hearing written arguments, conduct of the hearing and related activities.
- Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Director of Litigation, Deputy Director or Executive Director.
- Participates in case acceptance meetings.
- Participates in training to keep up CLEs relevant to the various areas of the law necessary to represent victims.
- Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates, and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect; provides constructive feedback to other advocates (paralegals) on cases discussed.
- Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
- Promotes accessibility of the local office(s) to clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and clients with disabilities.
- Promotes good relations with public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bar, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director and/or Executive Director.
- Provides timely data upon request for grant applications, fundraising, public relations, and other program needs.
- Is familiar with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LSC and other Funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
- Barred in Florida.
- Knowledge of State and Federal court procedures preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy on behalf of people in poverty.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to FRLS’ mission.
- Ability to forge positive relationships with prospects and colleagues.
- Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently.
- Must be able to maximize existing resources effectively and efficiently.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of CMS a plus.
- Must be able to effectively work in high-pressure situations involving deadlines.
- Bilingual English and Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred, but not required.
- Position operates in a professional office environment.
- Must be willing to travel. Must be able to work in a professional office environment 5 days per week.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy on behalf of people in poverty. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Salary depending on experience.
- FRLS is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all applicants to apply. Should you need assistance applying for a position, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-888-582-3410.
- Employees are encouraged to apply for opportunities that support their career growth and advancement within the FRLS organization. Please follow the application process for consideration.
- Florida Rural Legal Services, Inc., does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other characteristic protected by federal, state of local law.