All positions will remain open until filled, but we will review applicants on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early for consideration. Please submit all application materials as soon as possible.
Location: Belle Glade
Position Type: Contract- 1 Year
Please review the specific job posting for more details. Salary is based on experience. Apply Below.
The purpose of this position is to provide civil legal assistance to Victims of Domestic Violence
and work primarily under or Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Grant. representation and advocacy
to victims of domestic violence, sexual trauma, and stalking. The ideal candidate must have an
extensive knowledge in Family law, three-five years’ experience preferred.
1. Interviews, certifies eligibility and identifies the legal problems of FRLS clients within a specific area of law and provides clients with appropriate legal assistance in the form of advice, referrals, or actual representation.
2. Participates in outreach.
3. Represents clients in court and before administrative agencies as accepted. • Provides documentation, statistical information and other records as required by the Managing Attorney, Advocacy Director or Executive Director.
4. Participates in case acceptance meetings.
5. Participates in training to keep up CLE’s and required and legally relevant training as may be provided by the program and as mandated by Florida Bar rules.
6. Adheres to office hours, exhibits a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills, communicates, and treats clients and staff with courtesy and respect, provides constructive feedback to other advocates (including paralegals) on cases discussed.
7. Serves as a role model to support staff by promoting the values of hard work, high quality advocacy and treating others with courtesy and respect.
8. Attempts to ensure accessibility of the local office(s) when necessary, by serving clients, including rural clients, non-English speaking clients and client with disabilities.
9. Promotes good relations with public, including client groups, service providers, press, and private bar, attending/speaking at local meetings as appropriate and approved by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director, Advocacy Director and/or Executive Director.
10. Develops and maintains familiarity with FRLS policies, as well as requirements of LSC and other funders, and adheres to those policies and requirements.
11. Maintains accurate follow-up system to review cases when needed
12. All other duties assigned
Victims Of Crime ACT (VOCA) Contract Attorney
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Employees: 2 per office
• Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school required.
• Barred in Florida required • Knowledge of State and Federal court procedures preferred.
• Some knowledge of the legal system, commitment to the mission of FRLS and compassion for the clients.
• Ability to forge positive relationships with prospects and colleagues.
• Good organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently.
• Must be able to maximize existing resources effectively and efficiently.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint). Knowledge of CMS a plus.
• Must be able to effectively work in high-pressure situations which involve deadlines.
• Bilingual English and Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred, but not required.
Position operates in a professional office environment
Direct Reports: None
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Florida Rural Legal Services, Inc., does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other characteristic protected by federal, state of local law.
Submit Your Application
The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only.